Sunday 10 July 2016

Dark and Stormy Night 2016 - danushaj - Tigerlily2110 - Silverbirch - Apelser - ScrapHappyGabi - Apelser


It was a dark and stormy night
danushaj
Round 1
It was a dark and stormy night.  I was wiping down the benches, the last of my customer’s had almost finished their meal, both had ordered my homemade delicious vanilla slice with a mug of flat white, including soy milk and 3 tsp simulated sweetener each.  Shudders.  How anyone could stomach soy milk in coffee, let alone with fake sugar to boot….. topped off with the sweet custardy goodness of Aunt Jessie’s (secret recipe) vanilla slice, I’ll never know.  Mine is not to question the order, I just make it and serve it. 

I just wish they would hurry up and leave, I should have locked up half an hour ago.  “Enough talking, more eating” I could hear my mum saying in my head, I subliminally was trying to project this phrase to them.  It must have worked, or it was my incessant huffing, but 5 minutes later, they got up to leave.  YAY!  I noticed the wind outside was picking up, fallen leaves from the autumn trees were swirling around the street outside.  Not wanting more cleaning with an entrance way full of water and leaves, I followed my customers to the shopfront and quickly locked the door behind them.  I clicked the lock, I sighed deeply as my back slumped against the door.  Oh boy, what a day, but little did I know what a night this would end up turning into! 

My small café “Express Ur Bean” was my pride and joy.  I purchased this tiny space just over a year and a half ago.  I wanted to escape the hustle and bustle of the big city nearby, I desperately needed a sea change.  My shop is situated at the end of the main street, in the centre of Sailsbury, a small town located along the south east coast of Australia.  For tourists, Sailsbury is best known for its working lighthouse and an old convict gaol.  Sailsbury is not huge, it is one of those, and everyone knows everyone, kind of places.  I discovered it while out driving one day.  I had a large cheque, which had just cleared from my recent divorce; I had a few dollars splurge on something FOR ME.  Express Ur Bean, my spur of the moment purchase, has become a favourite among locals as well as the tourist buses that stop by. 

Just as my thoughts were turning to a relaxing evening of me enjoying a bath with a nice glass of wine, there was a knock at the door.  I got such a fright as I was still leaning against it!!  I slowly turned and unlocked the door, when I opened it, I discovered the most surprising and unexpected visitor.

It was a Dark and Stormy Night
Round 2
Tigerlily2110
 It was the guy who lived a few doors away, looking very wet, bedraggled and scared out of his wits! 'You have to let me in,’ and he pushed past me into the hall. 'What is going on?' I asked, slightly disgruntled that he had pushed past me into my own café, when it was closed without being invited, even if he was a bit of a 'hottie'.  'The Bunyip! the Bunyip was in the garden looking at me', 'and then it came and looked in at the window, it smiled at me'.  With all thoughts of the bath and wine going out of my head, I grabbed my gun - not that it would do any good against an Australian mythical figure. (The Bunyip is an Aboriginal mystical creature of myths and legends that is supposed to dwell in swamps, creeks, billabongs and waterholes.)  The guy who had rudely invaded my evening, as was called Morgan, lived very close to the creek that skirted the back of the houses.  I have a gun ready in a hiding place in the café, just in case I get any 'undesirables', which doesn't happen too often. 

 'Where did it go? did you see?' I asked Morgan.  'Not sure, I legged it, and yours was the only place with a light on, so I came here first'.  So, with more bravado than bravery, I ventured out.  Nothing was stirring, not even the dog down the street that barks at everyone and everything.  In fact there was an eerie silence about the place, and it would have been deathly if not for the howling wind and teeming rain.  I skirted the houses, trying to keep to the dark areas, Morgan reluctantly bringing up the rear. I crept around the side of his house to be confronted with - nothing! Damn, I wish that I'd brought a torch. 

 As I was about to turn around to speak to Morgan, briefly, from behind a cloud the full moon came out and I caught sight of a shadow.  No! That could not be happening, it was not real.  The shadow that Morgan was casting was not human; it was in fact, the shadow of a Bunyip.  I slowly held the gun out and tried to back away, but I tripped over the edge of the patio and went sprawling, I must have it the back of my head because when I woke up, I was in a room that I'd never seen before, and I was lying on a couch that was not my own......

It was a Dark and Stormy Night R2????
Silverbirch (sorry for the tardiness!)
...The room was not what you'd expect after such a harrowing event. There was a bright, gleaming, airy feel to the space. It was modern, clean cut corners, rounded and tidy, neutral colours. I could tell the rhythm of my breathing had changed, my chest fluttered with the uneven breaths as I tried to keep my composure despite my intoxicating fear. I tried to maintain the illusion that I was still unconscious. As I surveyed the lines of the room, quietly, and as still as I could, the silhouette of thin white bars on the bright windows caught my eyes through sheer curtains. I could hear the sound of wind in the trees and birds on par with us. We must have been high on a hill. The room was uncomfortably humid, so much so that dew condensed on the surfaces of the room, mirroring reflections all around. ...What little there was to reflect anyway. So far the only object other than your very basic furniture (the white couch I was on, and a cold marble coffee table in front of me) was an oversized aquarium containing a single fish in murky water. A fish I had never seen before. One that didn't even seem of this world.

I could hear a sink running in a connecting room and the delicate clinking of china teacups. Morgan entered the room and placed the dish in front of me on the table. There was a cup of wine, and a slice of Aunt Jessie's Vanilla slice, messily filling the plate. Morgan was in the same wet clothes; and despite the humidity his skin looked dry and about to crack. I knew he knew I was awake. My eyes met with his, green baubles reflecting light, fine tuned for lurking. Black inky lines cutting them straight down from top to bottom. Morgan’s body was here, but he certainly wasn't....at least, not anymore.

It was a dark and stormy night
Round 3
Apelser
I knew I should, but I couldn’t tear my eyes away from his gaze. It was as if the eyes hypnotized me so that I couldn’t look away and he knew that. It was as if I was feeling myself getting lost in the eyes. It pulled me in and there was no escape. I jolted back to reality as Morgan turned away. I sat up and blinked my eyes a few times.

“I am sorry that I scared you last night. I really didn’t mean for you to get such a fright. The last thing I want is for you to get hurt,” he said with his back still turned to me. I was trying to clear my head to find something to say. “Oh,” was all I muttered and the instant it was said I got upset with myself. Of all the things I could say, how can I only think of saying that. What was I thinking? Am I a complete idiot? I should tell him exactly what I think of him, that he has to let me go, that he can be lucky that I didn’t shoot him last night. Mind you, where was my gun? Well, it is useless to think that he will have left it anywhere close to me…… “Why are you keeping me here? What are you going to do with me? Where am I? I should have shot you last night,” I started mumbling. “You don’t have to be afraid, I won’t hurt you. I understand that you are in shock. I am grateful that you didn’t shoot me last night and yes, I didn’t leave the gun anywhere close by. I don’t like guns,” he said turning around and looking at me all the while talking to me. But it was strange……

As I looked at him…..I could hear his voice…..not in my head……no it was as clear as the wind in the trees and the birds outside. His mouth didn’t move and his eyes remained cold and distant. He must have seen the puzzled look on my face as his armed moved and pointed to the fish in the murky water. I looked at the fish for some time before I realized that Morgan has left the room, yet his voice still remained…..his voice were actually coming……..Morgan’s voice were coming from the ……..aquarium, from the weird fish. But how…….. 

It was a dark and stormy night...
Round 4
ScrapHappyGabi

I looked closer, the fish.. Was it even a fish? Surely it was, but unlike anything I could ever imagine. The voice... was I in a trance? I blinked several times hoping that I would wake from this dream but soon realised I was here in the now and this was no dream. The "fish" in the tank, not 2 minutes earlier had appeared to grow 15 cm! As long as it was daylight I felt I still had a chance. What did it want with us? What had it done to Morgan? Wait. I stood recalling the change in Morgan's demeanour and his eyes... looked so cat-like. What had it done to him? Was I truly hearing Morgan's voice coming from the creature in the tank? I stood and though for a few minutes before it came to me. Couldn't be. I glanced into the tank once again and right before my eyes it seemed that the 'fish-thing' had grown another 5 cm!!
I wanted out of there. I tried the door and it was locked. There were bars over the windows but I knew it there were still several hours until dark. I was bound and determined to get out of there. This 'thing' was the cause of all of this chaos. It was using Morgan as a vessel, but for what? 

It reminded me of the fabled Bunyip but tiny in comparison, after all... those were huge, right? 

I sat on the couch, buried my head in my hands and thought real hard about the next steps I would take.

It was a dark and stormy night Round 5
Apelser

How do I seem to always end up in weird and strange situations? “I am not planning on hurting you. You are the only one who can put an end to this and who can undo what has been done. There are still a few hours before dusk. You need to remember…….you need to undo what your ancestors has done…..” the fish said. I just couldn’t comprehend what the creature was telling me. What on earth was it saying? What ancestors was he talking about? Remember what………what was going on? Surely this was some kind of nightmare and I would be waking up soon…..and I will be laughing at this and………..Ouch….wait….if I was asleep and having a nightmare…… would I have felt that…….I looked down at my hand and saw the blood on my finger tip. I actually pinched myself so hard that I opened up the cut on my finger which has been healing quite well. I looked up and saw Morgan walking towards me holding a kitchen towel out to me. I took it and looked up at him, into his eyes. The green baubles reflecting light with the black inky lines cutting them straight down from top to bottom looked back at me.  I turned to look at the fish and for the first time I noticed its eyes. It had……….human eyes. How could a fish have human eyes? How could a fish talk…..and grow?

Nothing made sense to me. Then it started…….I started feeling weird…as if I was starting to get dizzy. I looked at the fish again. “Remember…….remember…” it kept on saying. Something strange was happening. I felt lightheaded and my hands and feet started tingling. All kinds of images started flooding my mind. None of them made sense however. It was as if I was in someone else’s dream or rather nightmare. I saw a hill…….a cottage…..this place…….people arguing……..flashes of lightning……..screams………thunder…….a loud cracking sound……..cold……..then……..I remembered.

I could feel someone picking me up and holding me. The coldness was replaced by warmth. The arms around me made me feel safe. Slowly I opened my eyes. Looking back at me was Morgan. “Hey you!  You gave me quiet a fright there! What on earth happened?” he asked. He slowly helped me up. My head was sore as if I got a major whack on it. Morgan helped me to the nearest seat. “Now I remember,” I said. Morgan held my hand as I sat down on the chair. “There were two customers here that took forever to finish and when they eventually did I was locking up the front door. There was a knock at the door and as I was opening it up the wind gushed in, pulling the door out of my grip and slammed it against me, hitting me against the head and then I must have fainted.”

“I’m sorry, I knocked and when you opened the door, before I could react there was a sudden gust of wind that came past me pushing the door open and that was when it hit you on the head. I should have tried holding the door,” Morgan said looking very apologetically up at me. “I was on my way to come and fetch you. You shouldn’t be walking home alone in this terrible storm. Who know what is lurking out there? The last thing I wanted was for you to get hurt.” He smiled up at me as he was sitting in front of me, still holding my hands in his. I felt so safe. This man was making me feel safe, something I haven’t felt in a long time. I looked into his eyes and noticed what lovely eyes he had.

Outside unbeknownst to us, we were being watched by a figure which slowly faded away into the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment