Thursday 10 October 2013

Dark and Stormy Night - BooBaRoo - Apelser - Fever - ??? - BooBaRoo

ROUND 1
RooBaRoo
 
It was a dark and stormy night...& it was the night that the Grrr-Gmmm started speaking to me. I was alone at home, & the power had shut off, even before the Sun had set, I had a Glass-chimney lantern by me. Well, not all alone, actually, my Grandpa was there somewhere in the house, which is strange, because I was 6 years old. He should have been with me, but then, maybe he thought I was sleeping. I was clutching my brand new doll to my chest. Everyone was at the hospital - my Ma, Paa, Granny & Aunt, & when they return, they'll bring me a baby brother...

Every now & then, the Grrr-Gmmm roared. They called it the thunder. I liked it, as the power cut had made the light & the fan useless, & the Grrr-Gmmm flashed like a tube-light for a few seconds, & I could see around me again. I didn't find the noise very unpleasant either, sometimes it cracked in my ears, & sometimes it made me afraid that something seriously heavy - like the cement roof - will fall down on me. But mainly, it sounded like a language that I did not know. But I wanted to know. I really wanted to know what the Grrr-Gmmm was saying to his friends.


ROUND 2
Apelser

I could imagine the Grrr-Gmmm sitting around with his friends. But then again, maybe the Grrr-Gmmm and his friends were playing a game while they chatted away and that was why they were so excited. Would my baby brother and I also be chatting like that? I wish that the Grrr-Gmmm would come and speak to me as I felt a bit lonely tonight. It would be terrific if I were the only one who could speak Grrr-Gmmm-ish as we would be the only one that could talk for hours. The people from far and wide would come to me and ask me to tell them what the Grrr-Gmmm was saying to them. Wecould speak about so many things and share so many secrets and no one would know what we were saying. The only down part would be that the Grrr-Gmmm doesn’t visit every day. Sometimes it is gone for a while and then comes back I wonder where it goes when it isn’t here?

As I lay in my bed with my brand new doll clutched in my hand, I tried to listen if I could figure out where Grandpa was in the house. I couldn’t hear him so I assumed that he was on the other side of the house. The Grrr-Gmmm and his friends myst be really having a great chat and a great time and lots of fun, because he started becoming louder and louder and it seemed as if he was becoming very excited about something.it felt as if he was coming closer and closer - maybe he was going to coma and visit me… I wondered if the Grrr-Gmmm had a family? Does he also have a ma and pa? What about a Grandma and Grandpa? Does he have a baby brother? Or maybe a sister? I wondered…

ROUND 3
Fever

I could hear Grandpa's heavy steps up the stairs somewhere in the house – not too near, maybe on the stairs to the green bedroom. Lucky for me! For some strange reason I didn't want my grandpa to come look after me. Not right now, when I was excitedly waiting for the Grrr-Gmmm to stop by.

I couldn't keep still in bed any longer. I took a deep, deep breath, as mum had told me to, before I jumped into a swimming pool, grabbed my doll firmly (I didn't have a name for her yet – the poor thing! I needed to come up with one soon.) and swung my legs out of the comfortable warmth of my blankets. 

Carefully, step by step, I moved towards the window. The curtains were closed, but through the gap between them I could see the Grrr-Gmmm and his friends light up every other moment. Their chatter had become incredibly loud – they must have a blast up there. I became a little jealous: Why was I left alone down here with my nameless doll and Grandpa roaming around the house somewhere else, while the Grrr-Gmmm and his friends were merry and happy and probably eating chocolate cookies in bed. I was never allowed cookies in bed! 

And when mum and dad and auntie came home, they would probably let my baby brother have cookies in bed, because they didn't leave him alone in this dark, dark night after all. 

Another flash of light lit up my room and the skys. There, way up there, what was that? I dropped all thoughts and the welling up of my tears and stared at a spot between the clouds. There had been something. Surely! I looked up to the spot strained. Then, another light! And I could see very clearly a big, friendly face in the clouds. The Grrr-Gmmm had appeared! And I was invited to chocolate cookies in bed with him and his friends!


ROUND 4
???

I leaned out the window & wondered if I could simple leap out, the same way as Mum had told, with a deep breath – but I was too afraid. I started wondering how I’d reach them. They looked pretty far up. They could fly, as I could see, though not too fast. They all looked quite the same, but a little bit different! They were all different blues, pale blues. & now, lot of them were very close by! They were huddled near my window. They were very big, & now that I think of it as an adult, they couldn’t all possibly fit in my room! But they did. I saw Grrr-Gmmm, I knew it had to be the friendliest one , with the sleepy, comfy grin. There were cookie crumbs around their smiles, & whenever they talked to each other, or to me, the room lit up, & they looked a soft golden, rather than pale blue.

I saw no hands. So how were they having those cookies? I really wanted to try one. They gave me some cookies. Just as I had guessed, those were chocolate chip cookies, one of the yummiest I ever had. They were all chattering so much that now there was a constant rumble & continuous white-golden light lit up my room. They had the manners to keep their voices low enough not to hurt me. They looked like they were made of (pale blue) cotton candy, but they felt like really soft, squishy pillows, with a little bounciness. I was laying my head on their shoulder. They were all brothers & sisters. & they had to work! Like grown-ups. They were having a particularly busy night tonight, & they still had a lot of towns & villages to water.

They were taking a break, & having some cookies, because they had really worked hard that day. I knew that too. It had rained without a halt all day, & not once could I go out. I was cross with them for that. But they just laughed like silly puppies, & started rolling over each other. This was their game. They rolled over me too. It was ticklish, & I could not see, but they were so comfy to lean against, I liked it. It was like being wrapped in cool comforters & quilts. Oh! Then they told me they didn’t have beds. They did have cookies, but never in bed, as there were no beds. But then how did they sleep? Hanging in the sky, poor things. So, now, they had come to me with the cookies, when they heard my thoughts, to have cookies in my bed.

ROUND 5
BooBaRoo

As the rain danced a pitter patter on the roof, and window, I drifted off to sleep with thoughts of cotton candy, puppies, and cookies.   My tummy felt full, and my heart felt lifted.   I had new friends in the wind and the rain, thunder and lightning.    As I dreamed, they whispered the secrets of the universe in my ears, but teased me when they also told me that I would not remember these secrets when I awoke.    I flew in my dreams, as I drifted over the town, the trees were changing colors,  birds were flying south with me.   I smiled at the cows below, cowering from the storm.    I came to a stop over a grey brick building.   I flew down to peer into small window.  Inside I saw my Maa, and Paa, and some people dressed in long clothes, the color of green puke.   All these people were gathered around my mother and she was smiling.  In her arms were 2 wrapped bundles.  One pink one blue.   I didnt understand the meaning of this but I knew it was time to fly back to my bed.   The raing told me it was time.  The wind lifted me up, as I swept back to my warm bed.   

I awoke to the sound of my grandpa, opening the bedroom door, as it squeaked on its ancient hinge.   Pop Pop, smiled and said.  Your dad called.  Your mother is tired but resting, she had some complications and will be staying a few extra days at the hospital.    But you now have a new baby brother and a sister.  It was twins.  She named the boy Thunder, and the girl Rainey.     I smiled, and said to myself.  I know the  Grrr-Gmmm told me.

No comments:

Post a Comment