Thursday 10 October 2013

Dark and Stormy Night - KamKat - M Loftin - FB Joyhouse 5 - KamKat - Junemoon



ROUND 1
KamKat
It was a dark and stormy night when Wendy was sitting at home  writing a short story for class. She didn't really like stormy nights  so she was having a hard time concentrating on her story and her  mind kept wandering away.  "When I was little, Mom used to say “Thunder is just Jesus playing the drums in Heaven, so there is nothing to be afraid of”. Now, know that storms often foreshadow things to come in books. I wonder if these storms will foreshadow a bad grade on the paper  I should be writing… She just couldn’t seem to focus on it. She decided she would just go to bed and start again  morning. Maybe she could finish it by lunch and turn it in before class started. She walked to her bedroom down the hall and lay down in her bed. Maybe it would help my fears some if I got a roommate to stay  with me in this house. I could definitely use help paying the rent and I wouldn’t be alone all the time… 
She drifted off to sleep and was suddenly awoken by…
ROUND 2
M Loftin
A noise at the window, Wendy laid still and listened-----there it was again, a tapping on the glass.  Wendy rose and tip-toed to the side of the window, carefully, she pulled the curtain aside.  She jumped back at the sight of a white dove sitting on her window sill. It appeared to be injured as it had one wing bent at a odd angle. Wendy quickly opened the sash and the dove hopped into the room and sat looking at Wendy. It was then that Wendy saw what appeared to be a tiny fairy asleep on the dove's back. Wendy put her hand out and the dove went to her side, and as Wendy stared at the tiny being, the fairy opened her eyes and sat up. "Are you a giant?" the fairy asked. Wendy rubbed her eyes, she must be dreaming..... but no, there was a tiny fairy right before her.  "Can you help me?" the fairy asked.  " My friend and I got lost in the storm and I must find my way home.  My name is Princess Melody,  and I live in the forest near the waterfall," she said. "I wasn't suppose to go far, but I wanted so much to see the world outside of the woods.  I didn't mean to get lost" she sobbed.... "If you can help us to get back to the forest, maybe I can help you with any problem you have.  You see it is a magical forest, and my father is the King of the Fairies, and I will be so grateful" Wendy looked at the tiny girl and smiled. "I think I am still dreaming, but I don't want to wake up if this is a dream?  "Of course I will help you, but you will have to show me the way.  Just then there was a flash of light and everything started to glow...
ROUND 3 
FB Joyhouse 5
At first Wendy thought the glow was from the flash lightning, but when the area continued to be illuminated, Wendy could clearly see that the source of light was coming from the eyes of a large white owl.  This caused Wendy to gasp, as she had never seen something so beautiful yet so eerie in one being.  Wendy was both drawn to and repulsed by this ominous owl. When the owl began to speak, Wendy almost fainted. "I am Wolden guardian of the forest, I demand the return of Princess Melody so I can return her safely to her father."  Wendy could see the fairy trembling, and single tear, glistening in the night’s glow, as it slid down Melody's beautiful tiny face. Melody didn’t speak, but Wendy could clearly hear Melody say "Don’t make me go with him, he is not to be trusted." Wendy could not believe she could hear these words, as nothing was spoken, yet the words banged around as if an echo inside her skull. I am just a mortal she thought, how can I possible do anything to help?  ... 
ROUND 4
KamKat
I’d never really stood up to anyone before, but it was obvious this fairy needed defending… “I will of course return Princess Melody safely to her father, he must be very worried” The owl replied “Very wise choice, my lady, now, GIVE HER TO ME!” It was the way he said those last four words that made my mind up, anyone with that kind of tone is up to no good. “No, I believe I will do it myself, you see I already said I would help and I would hate to be a liar”. The owl’s fury was so strong he suddenly started changing colors! Slowly all of his feathers were changing from white to grey to dark black. Then he said, “You will pay for this!” and flew away.
A chill went over her as she watched the owl go out the window… That was disturbing… She turned to Melody and asked “what was that all about?” For the first time Melody wasn’t so nice as she said, “The fairy world is none of your concern.” This made me sick to think maybe I was helping someone so rude… however, she was injured and maybe she was just tired. I am sure I would be in her shoes. “Okay, so now what?” I asked not really ready for the answer. “Well, you must take us home as soon as you can, can you take us now?” she asked. I looked outside; the rain had mostly stopped, just a little sprinkle here and there. “Yes” I said and picked up the dove and the fairy and walked outside towards the woods to return them to their home.
ROUND 5
Junemoon
OOPs! I thought, I’d better have a raincoat and umbrella. I don’t want Princess Melody to get sopping wet.  I dashed in an put on the rain coat.  It had large pockets.  “Princess Melody, do you and your dove mind hiding in my raincoat pocket?  It’ll keep you dry.”
“That’s a good idea”, she said.  I slipped the gently into my right pocket, grabbed the umbrella and hurried out heading for the woods at the back of the yard.  I hadn’t got very far when I felt a wind above me and saw Wolden’s eyes shining like flashlight beams into the woods.  
“I don’t need your help,” I said as politely as I could although I was also very scared.  He was a huge owl and his toes had long, long talons.
“Yes you do,” he said.  “Only the dopy dove knows the way to the King’s castle, Princess Melody has never been outside the walls before.”
“Then the dove will tell me where to go,” I said  reaching into the pocket to take the dove out.
“NO, no, please, no,” I heard the dove said and Princess Melody;s tiny voice was saying, “Please, no, Wolden  attacked us already tonight. He’ll eat the dove.”
I had reached the edge of the woods, it was very dark and vey wet inside.  Wolden had closed his eyes so I couldn’t see but he had not gone away, I could hear his wings swishing nearb-by.  
Princess Melody said, “May I use your cell phone? I’ll call my father.”
It would never have occurred to me that a fairy could use a cell phone but I took it out of my jeans pocket and put it into the raincoat pocket where she Princess and the dove were.  I could hear her telling the dove what to peck, how to input a text.  Good heavens! I thought, what’s the world coming to when fairies communicate by text.
“You’re lost,” Wolden said with a nasty laugh.  “You’ll walk around in circles.  Better let me have them and get them home safely.”
“I may only be a human,” I said to him, “but I have a secret weapon and I think we’ll be all right.”
“Since when do humans have secret weapons?” He has perched on a limb directly in front of me and I had a feeling I wasn’t going to be able to get around him.  But Melody had texted for help so maybe all I had to do was hold my ground and wait for help to arrive. I hoped that was true anyway.
As it happens I’m a history major. I began telling him about all the secret weapons in history that had won war after war. I only got to the catapult when I heard the sound of a trumpet and suddenly a knight in shining armor was standing at my side.  He brandished a shining sword at Wolden. “Begone, you trouble maker. You’ll have no dove for dinner tonight.  Nor any Princess either.  Don’t make me use this.”  He waved his sword through the light of Wolden’s eyes.
Suddenly Wolden lifted off and flew away into the forest. 
“Oh, my hero, my hero!” Princess Melody.  
I lifted her and the dove from my pocket and put them gently into the knight’s outstretched hand.  “Now, just a little fairy magic,” Princess Melody said. “Thank you for being so brave and wanting to help me. I promise your hair will always be blond and always curly and you’ll always be beautiful. Now …” She blew a kiss at me.
 
Suddenly I was in my room alone and no time at all had passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment